Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Back to School

 

It's still crazy hot in Arizona, our air is dense and hazy from wildfire smoke from both here and California, our monsoon rains have fizzled out, and students are back in school, albeit, for the most part, online. All of the college classes I teach are online (thank goodness) and I help home-school three teenaged high school girls.

The smoky haze has curtailed my morning walks. It isn't much fun smelling and tasting the air in the open desert spaces I normally associate with sweet fresh air.

But I can't complain. The first weeks of a new semester getting to know my online students is challenging and interesting. Tutoring Trouble, my 15-year-old neighbor and her friends is rewarding and fun. Swimming is delicious when it's 111°, and it provides an opportunity to go nearly naked in public (always a plus). Then there's Zoom for class conferences, for chatting with colleagues, and, yuck, administrative meetings.

Zoom is okay for occasionally connecting with friends and family. If I want privacy with someone special, I use Facetime. Somehow, I don't trust Zoom for private moments that might involve a playful "webcam girl" call or "chatterbate" fun.

Facebook let me out of their "jail" this past weekend. Thanks to my alter ego Ellen Arroway for stepping in for me for a month. I miss her already.

I don't have any stories to tell today. I'll give that some thought tonight and maybe have something to share later in the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment