Sunday, December 1, 2019

Black Friday Fun

Nensi Photos

Black Friday in the desert southwest was gray and rainy. There were patches of sun between showers but the air stayed relatively cold for the desert. My family and house guests for the long weekend were anxious to sight see despite the rain and chills, so I sent them off, promising to join them after an hour or two. I needed some Sparks’ time.

I did not want to shop on this mother of all shopping days, but I needed to grab a gift and restock the fridge. It seemed a good time to have a little fun too. I changed from my Star Wars jammies and slippers into a pair of over-the-knee socks and ballet flats. In a reusable grocery bag, I loaded a pair of short shorts and a sweater – for later – and wrapped up in a classic London Fog trench coat. Happy and naked under my London Fog, I set out for the Disney Store. I’d get to Safeway later, with my guests.

The Disney Store was a crush, yet they still had the one item my niece insisted was absolutely necessary for her survival. Escaping Frozen II world, I stood in a twenty-minute line at Starbucks for a coconut latte. I opened my coat enough to get wonderful service from the cute guy taking orders. Coffee in hand, I made my way to the outdoors mall courtyard, where, surprisingly, there were very few people. The rain had stopped and patchy sunlight filtered into the smallish garden space.

I found a bench that seemed to be mostly out-of-reach of security cameras and sat in the sun, sipping my latte. It was almost time to meet my family. Only a few snowbirds – retirees who come to live in the desert during winter – were about.

Carefully, deliberately, and not in too much of a rush, I took off my London Fog and stood naked except for my OTK socks for long moment in the sun. Next, I put on my sweater and pulled on my shorts. All in all, my exposure lasted for maybe just over a minute. But it was enough to get my heart racing and my adrenaline pumping. Looking about, two couples had noticed me, and stared with the most curious looks on their faces. I could sense no disapproval at all. I did see smiles.

Tossing my coat over my arm and grabbing my bags, I walked briskly by the couples, wishing them a Merry Christmas as I passed. They automatically returned my greeting.

I met my family soon after at a tourist spot in town feeling refreshed, renewed and ready for the rest of the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment